One of the most crucial things to do for us as a blogger aside from creating the best possible article is to optimize ads performance. In this post I will write about how to doing AdSense performance Optimization by spit testing technique. We will use a simple and free plugin called Ad Injection.
The steps to doing this AdSense performance optimization is;
- Assign two different ads on the same spot, which only take less than one minute using Ad Injection.
- Waiting for about a week.
- See and compare your AdSense’ ads unit performance (CTR especially) and then decide the better action to do about that ads.
AdSense Performance Optimization by Spit Testing
To start this optimization just use any of your ads unit from your AdSense account. You can have as many ads on this process, but lets keep it simple by using only two ads on this tutorial.
If You don’t know how to create ads unit, heads over here.
1. Insert Your Ads to Ads Injection Setting
Once the ads created, open your Ads Rotation/advanced setting on Ad Injection. It is on the next tab from the main tab. Or based from your wp-admin URL it will be like this /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=ad-injection&tab=adrotation.
And this is and example where I put the ads;
As you can see, the ads are different in size, the first ads will serve 70% of all ads request, and the second ads will appear on the rest 30% request.
2. What the AdSense stats tell me?
Due to AdSense TOS, I can’t show you exactly how the data looks like is. On this AdSense performance optimization process, I then open my report, and choose Ads unit report.
Even though both ads have slightly different number in request volume. But I know which ads preform better by looking at the higher Ads Request CTR column.
3. Tune the ads on your site
After knowing which ads will bring you more click and income, you off course need to change the setting as you wish. You may remove the slow performing ads or alter the serving quota by changing the number I highlighted on the red boxes.
AdSense Performance Optimization Conclusion
I hope this tips will be useful for you, which I am sure it is.
The good thing about this ads optimization is you can always do it using this kind of technique, it works both on a site with thousands daily visit and a site with only hundreds daily visit, new site and site already established for years. Because CTR is the key here.
Optimization is important because it makes your traffic generation effort pay off. There are too many people trowing away their chance to get more income because they waste traffic.
Don’t forget to ask anythings you may find unclear. And please share it too 🙂