At the very beginning of my blogging course, I don’t really know how to make a post with good SEO parameters. I don’t even care about SEO itself until I noticed that I was addicted to get more visitors to my blog every single day. It wasn’t only me, every blogger must feel the same, and SEO is one of another way to get more visitors.
And now, I will write about my experience learning SEO from Yoast SEO Plugin I find on my other blog. I use SEO Ultimate on this blog to get to know how they both works, what the difference and which one give me a better result.
What I love about Yoast SEO plugin is that after setting up the focus keyword and save the post there is a SEO score indicator near the big blue publish button. Good SEO shown with green ball like the picture on the left.
On the wider panel under the post-editor text area there are bunch of options to improve the post’s SEO. It consist of a snippet preview displaying how your post will appear on search engine result listing, three text box, one to adjust the focus keywords that I mention before, this box also give you keyword suggestion. Another one used to change your page title and and one more for set the meta description.
To get that green ball you need to place your focus keyword in the article heading, post title, post URL, content and meta description. Add your focus keyword as many as you can, especially on article heading and the content, that will improve your post.
Get better SEO Score by Learn More!
What I do after optimize my post SEO like the steps above is just hitting the big-blue PUBLISH button. I’m happy with that.
But yesterday I discover something that make me bumped like this;
That is the complete page analysis of the post being edited. 6 green ball vs 7 yellow-to-red colored ball? My post is only a half-optimized SEO, not even good 😆
Although that was a good finding at the end, I know what a fully SEO optimized post should be, as you can see, the complete SEO checklist are:
- Have more than 300 words on the body copy
- Have the focus keyword on the meta description
- Write a compelling meta description, since it will appear on Google SERP
- Set 40 – 70 character page title with the focus keywords at the beginning
- Include your focus keyword on the URL
- Structure your page using ordinal heading tag (heading also attract reader attention)
- Have outbond link
- Don’t use stop words like or, and, to, you name it
- Write your post in simple English, that is like writing for a sixth grade student according to Flesch Reading Ease
- Use your keyword on the alt tag on at least one image included
- Give your keyword more chance to appear but don’t repeat it too often. Said that the recommended keyword density is from 3 to 7%.
- Insert your keyword on the first paragraph of the body copy
That’s the recipe. Always follow it to get a better search engine exposure that will lead more visitor to your blog. Each time you make a post don’t forget to check this analysis. This is a complete on-page SEO optimization check list.
SEO is a hard work, on-page optimization only one piece of the puzzle. Always remember about this check list to get your work easier. Good day 🙂